9/18/11

Week 1:: Tank top - simple A-line: finished


Yes, finished. Yesterday. Yay!


The only change I made was that I made it a bit shorter. And I made it a bit shorter in the front than in the back - it just looked better when I put it on the dress form.

Also, I decided to make it in two layers - the top layer is a very sheer and thin linen, and the bottom is a light gray cotton which I also used for binding. I like the way it turned out. Next time I might try to add a bit more flare to the top layer - just at the hemline. Maybe.


I made my own bias tape for binding - yes, it is time consuming but I can choose any fabric I want, and it is more economical especially if you have a fabric hoarding problem like I do. And I like how it looks. I found these helpful when I first started making bias tape...

How to Make Bias Tape
Facing or Details: Bias Binding


I am really happy how this turned out and I would definitely like to make more: it is easy and quick to make, it is versatile (it could be a nice maternity top), and it looks fun. I am going to be making this one into an e-pattern. Soon.

Previous Week 1 posts:

Week 1:: Tank top - simple A-line: drafting
Week 1:: Tank top - simple A-line: fitting and pattern modification

There is another A-line sleeveless top I made a few months ago. It was actually the first ever pattern I made using this method. The only difference is that I drafted a pattern using a CAD program instead of drawing by hand. The pattern (and the drafting process) are a bit more difficult. If you are interested, go on over to Burdastyle and look at this project for more pictures and detailed instructions.


1 comment:

  1. I adore your "cut" on this tank. They are the simplest, yet most versatile pieces of clothing in my casual wardrobe closet...(and since I retired, that pretty well covers what I wear all the time! Lucky Me!!!)
    I am going to give this a shot, simply because I crocheted five shrugs this winter to wear with jeans over the summer months. I think they would be perfect!
    Thanks again!!!

    ReplyDelete