9/30/11

Week 2:: A-line sleeveless top variation - 50s babydoll: finished

So what do you think? Does it look like the pink McCalls top (except for the scalloped edge and the ruffles on the yoke)? 


I have to say I do like the way it turned out. Guessing worked well - guessing the flare at the hem (which I serged by the way) and the depth of the yoke.


The way I did the yoke - I cut both front and back yoke twice and then I finished the underarm portion (which is not part of the yoke) using a bit of yellow bias tape. Figuring out the steps to attach the yoke and have nice finished seams was the most challenging part. What I ended up doing is that I sewed the yoke together first - finishing the neck and underarm seams, leaving open the bottom of yoke. Then I sewed bottom front and back together, finished the exposed underarm seam with bis tape and then sewed that onto the yoke. 


The material I used was a thrifted sheet with these gorgeous flowers, designed by Hanae Mori. I think it looks great as a pajama top. 

Some techniques you might find useful:
How to draw and sew facing (scroll down to see how to sew facing, in this case how to sew yokes together)
Tutorial: How to Make an Easy Scalloped Hem (if you really want to make one)

If you missed previous Week 2 posts:

Week 2:: A-line sleeveless top variation - 50s babydoll: fitting and pattern modification

I made a similar top a few months back except that I started with a slightly different pattern. You can find more pictures and detailed instructions here.  

1 comment:

  1. Life is full of many challenges. Challenges that will make you or break you depending on how you handle it. Visit my site for more updates. God Bless to your site.

    n8fan.net

    www.n8fan.net

    ReplyDelete