10/5/11

Week 3:: Sleeveless top with neckline gathers: fitting and pattern modification

This is going to be a short post...
Again, I cut the pattern out from a sheet (this is probably the fourth or fifth one I cut from the same sheet. And I still have some left over. It cost $1.00.). Remember to add seam allowances if you create patterns with this method, because bodice patterns do NOT include seam allowances. In this case I used 1/2 in seam allowances on side and shoulder seams only. No seam allowances on neck and arm because I wanted to see what then would fit like when finished.

Before gathering...


After gathering.


Very nice, no? I was a bit skeptical about the neckline - when I blended the curve it looked a bit "wonky". But it looks very good with gathers.

I cannot see any problems with this - fits nicely in the front, in the bust section, and in the back. It is not too wide or too narrow. The only thing I will change is too widen the neck by 1 cm back and front (I tried it, and it was a little snug going over my head).

I know I am three garments into this project, but for now, It seems that no major modifications are needed once the pattern is drawn from the basic bodice. This is good, because that's exactly what I was hoping for. If you draw your own bodice, spend some time fitting it, you will be able to create designs that will too fit well. We'll see how it goes from now on...

Finally, let's finish this up...

Previous posts:


No comments:

Post a Comment